Taxes at the Center and State level are being subsumed into GST:
At the Central level, the following taxes are being subsumed:
- Central Excise Duty,
- Additional Excise Duty,
- Service Tax,
- Additional Customs Duty commonly known as Countervailing Duty, and
- Special Additional Duty of Customs.
At the State level, the following taxes are being subsumed:
- Subsuming of State Value Added Tax/Sales Tax,
- Entertainment Tax (other than the tax levied by the local bodies), Central Sales Tax (levied by the Centre and collected by the States),
- Octroi and Entry tax,
- Purchase Tax,
- Luxury tax, and
- Taxes on lottery, betting and gambling.
Proposed Tax Rates In GST :
Four tax rates namely 5%, 12%, 18%&28%.
Some goods and services would be exempt
Separate tax rate for precious metals
Cess over the peak rate of 28% on specified luxury and sin goods.